Guitar Tablature Discussion Forum

Guitar Tab Review & Power Tab Archive
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving on ...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
VIRUS DETECTED

... that is, I'm looking to switch my time and energy to another instrument. It's not that I won't continue to play the guitar; it's just that I want to try something new. I have played woodwinds before and was looking at electronic horns but I'm open to other instruments, just trying to avoid anything stringed.

Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Moving on ...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm 

I have always thought the saxophone is the most expressive instrument there is, apart from guitars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 pm 
VIRUS DETECTED

Wind/breath instruments are as expressive as you can get, IMO. It doesn't get more primal than breathing. I played the alto sax for quite some time; guitar was definitely more cool, though ... at the time.

Hindsight!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm 
Tis' no man, tis' a bass machine!

Piano? If I could play anything else it'd be piano....

Casey Reece wrote:
Ava should have known what she was getting involved with when she went after the Bass_Machine. That's like hitting Hitler with a nerf-gun circa 1939.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 pm 

Melodica!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm 
VIRUS DETECTED

The piano and guitar are, I bet, the two most popular instruments in North America. I would like to be a little outside the mainstream. J - I actually thought about the accordion and/or harmonium. The melodica looks pretty cool too. No one had better say the recorder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:57 pm 

Bass clarinet.

The first nanny in Mary Poppins was the original (1935) Bride of Frankenstein.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 pm 
ascended to supreme omnipotence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am 
PTA Staff Member

Decent harmonica players are hard to find and the techniques used are pretty interesting. My brother plays and he's usually got one in his pocket for pub/party etc...Must be nice to play such a portable instrument.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:01 pm 

My vote is 110% for the trumpet. Like you said, horns are the most expressive instrument, and the trumpet has got to be the most expressive horn. It's probably got the most variance in timbre out of any instrument, as well. It can easily sound scorching "hot" or very "cool," depending on your approach and contrast, etc.

Very difficult instrument to play well, though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:50 pm 

dude.. learn the uillean pipes, and go sit out on foggy mystic mornings playing celtic melodies to the nature fathers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm 

As far as electronic wind instruments go I have a Yamaha WX5 wind controller and a VL 70 tone generator. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... llers/wx5/

Sounds are really good especially the woodwinds. Fingering is the same as on sax. Great practise instrument if you live in a condo because you can control the volume or play it through headphones. You can also upgrade some of the VL 70 chips for an even better sound. I already play alto and tenor sax so it was easy to pick up. Embouchure is different because its a plastic reed but it's easy to adjust to. I have also played and still have a trumpet but I prefer the sax. The VL 70 also has all the other horn sounds plus the usual 200 or so useless sounds that come with every synth. but the woodwinds are really good.

As far as guitar goes whenever I reach the burn out point from the blues rock cover stuff that makes up most of my playing I just try a new style.
I have been on a gypsy jazz kick for the last year which is just so different from what I normally play it has got me interested in the guitar again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
VIRUS DETECTED

hippie wrote:
As far as electronic wind instruments go I have a Yamaha WX5 wind controller and a VL 70 tone generator. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... llers/wx5/

Sounds are really good especially the woodwinds. Fingering is the same as on sax. Great practise instrument if you live in a condo because you can control the volume or play it through headphones. You can also upgrade some of the VL 70 chips for an even better sound. I already play alto and tenor sax so it was easy to pick up. Embouchure is different because its a plastic reed but it's easy to adjust to. I have also played and still have a trumpet but I prefer the sax. The VL 70 also has all the other horn sounds plus the usual 200 or so useless sounds that come with every synth. but the woodwinds are really good.

I've looked at the Akai EWI4000S and it seems pretty cool. I'm a sax player so the layout of the instrument is right up my alley. I only want woodwind sounds, too, but I'd like the option to dick around a bit as well with other tones (although that can waste time).

hippie wrote:
As far as guitar goes whenever I reach the burn out point from the blues rock cover stuff that makes up most of my playing I just try a new style.
I have been on a gypsy jazz kick for the last year which is just so different from what I normally play it has got me interested in the guitar again.

This is a good idea ... one that I have also thought of ... but I'm just not motivated. I (half-assed) tried Country but it's basically major blues (over simplification, I know). I get frustrated trying a new style because it feels like I'm starting all over again from scratch. If I get frustrated trying something different I slip right back into my old style. Pisses me off.

We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:30 pm 

That Akai seems pretty sweet. It doesn't need a external source for the tones like the Yamaha. I could not find a dealer in my area so I did not get to try an Akai but from what I remember reading about them at the time they seemed like a step up from the Yamaha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:28 pm 

The violin, especially when played fiddle style, is lovely. The fact you've got experience with a stringed instrument would probably make the transition a bit smoother? What about the flute?